I basically just finished the Red Grape Fairy, and it looks terrible.
I think I can say with certainty that the problem is not on my end, except that I bought a shitty pattern. My bad.
The big problem is the waist, where the bodice joins the skirts. First of all, why isn’t the gown cut in one piece? I don’t know. I didn’t get paid a bunch of money to make this terrible pattern. Anyway, the bodice and skirt are supposed to be sewn together at the waistline, but the widths didn’t match up. There’s something like a 3″ difference in the back measurements alone. I finagled seam allowances until they finally matched, and stitched it all together, and wound up with a boxy, misshapen, unflattering mess.
Now, in the interest of full disclosure I should say that I haven’t added the elastic. The pattern calls for an elastic waistband to run where the bodice and skirt meet. I haven’t done this yet because I cannot possibly conceive of how it will help. There is literally nowhere for the extra fabric to go, except to bunch around my midsection (flattering!). The bodice itself is boxy and weirdly shaped and doesn’t fit right, the facing is a joke, and BAH ON YOUR STUPID PATTERN, SIMPLICITY.
I’m pretty much done with this pattern. Unless some brilliant idea comes to me in my sleep, and I remember it when I wake up, or I come up with something else, I’m returning to the fabric store and starting over with McCall’s 2895. It’s not Grecian and neither is it of a style appropriate for Roman women, and I think the one shoulder thing will make the wings difficult, but it’s only two long pieces, front and back, joined at the sides and shoulder, and I should be able to get it done in the limited time left to me to complete this part of the project. I’m also looking at chiton tuorials, but frankly, all the finished product pictures I’m seeing are just…boxy and unflattering. I want sleek, like a wine bottle. I suppose, now I think about it, I could also use the body of the Elizabethan Smock Pattern Generator, avoiding the sleeves, dropping the neckline, and 86ing the side gores and leaving it open from the knees down. I guess?
I don’t even know anymore. I’ve become paralyzed with failure and can’t decide what my next step should be. Should I pull this shitty thing apart again and try to figure out something else? Should I start cutting what I can of the other pattern? Should I just go the fuck to bed? Adding to tonight’s awesomeness, I was so certain it was going to work that I worked on both fairy costumes simultaneously, which means I’m out ~$40 worth of fabric as well as three solid days of sewing.
Maybe the problem is me. I swear I did everything carefully. I really did. Making the sheer fabric and the cotton play nice together was horrible, but I did my best to be careful and conscientious. I transferred markings and followed them, and I was careful with my stitches and I was so, so close to being done with this, and now I’m so, so frustrated, not least because this isn’t just for me; a friend is counting on me to make this work. And I’m tired, and hungry, because dinner was like four hours ago, and desperately homesick, and my fucking back hurts.
I am awash in hate for my chosen hobby.